Siding of your home is just like the clothing we wear. Our choice or selection of clothing mainly depends upon the geography as well as the fashion trends in the market. Similarly, types of siding you choose also depends upon the area or location of your residence and the current siding trend in the market. Along with this, of course budget plays a very important factor. But like our clothes, we cannot change the siding material easily and very often and hence you have to be careful while choosing siding options. Yes, we do have the option of changing siding colors by repainting it or restaining it or any of that but no one wants to indulge in such things. Thus you should opt for such siding options or such siding types or such siding colors or such siding materials which looks good on the day one of siding installation and remain good for many years to come. Siding installation in the home gives an immediate makeover to your home and makes it easier to sell it. But you must consider the siding cost and also siding repair cost which can come in the future years before you take up siding installation.
The types of siding you install will add definition and colors to your home. There are lots of siding options available these days which can give the perfect façade you want for your home. The various types of siding you choose fulfills two needs: if seen from functional point of view, it adds protection to your home and if seen from the architectural point of view, it gives privacy and adds beauty to your home. There are plenty of types of siding options available along with varied range of siding colors and styles. You need to make proper research about each of the types of siding and then choose the one which is most suitable to you. The siding types you choose depend upon the place where you need siding installation. Say for example siding option for old home will be different from siding options for garage. Select the place, then select the siding option or the siding type and then consider the siding options costs. If you are comfortable with all the factors only then should you go for siding installation in your home. Check the following factors before choosing the types of siding to install in your home.
Factors to consider while choosing types of siding
Depending upon the types of siding you choose, there are some siding options which are more water resistant as compared to that of others. While you are choosing the types of siding to install in your home, you must check out whether the material is water resistant or not. Also check the weather of your location. If there’s higher rainfall then you must go for a water resistant material of even a better quality. This will make the life of the siding installation long and also prevent any decay of the siding materials on the grounds of moisture or water.
Every siding material comes up with an R-value1 which measures the energy efficiency of the material. If the R-value is higher than it indicates that it has better thermal insulation.When you are choosing from the various types of siding, check the energy efficiency of the material and choose the one which has better R-value.
Aesthetic and texture
Before choosing the types of siding, you must consider siding color ideas, its textures and style. This decides the overall aesthetics of the home. How your siding will look at the end of the day and choosing the siding colors for house is by far one of the most important decisions affecting the types of siding you go for. Siding colors with brick or stone are limited and they focus more on the texture whereas vinyl siding color options are more versatile in color and designs.
The structure and exterior of your home plays a very significant role in the types of siding you want to install in your home. Say for example if you are having a complex three story Victorian house then the Stone Veneer siding might not be the right type of siding to go for.
There are many siding materials which are eco-friendly. Fiber cement is prepared from clay, sand, cement and wood-pulp fibers. Wood siding is prepared from naturally biodegradable and green options and it comes right away from nature. Green siding is also related with energy efficiency of the house and how properly it insulates the heat from your house.
Durability decides how long will your siding last before a need arises for siding repair, siding paint, siding replacement or any kind of siding maintenance. Some of the types of siding like stucco siding, if done in the right manner, can last for lifetime and they will only have a need of painting every 6 to 7 years. Resistance to natural circumstances, rotting, and insects are some of the factors playing important role in how long will the types of siding that you install, last.
Siding installation isn’t cheap. A siding cost can be range between USD 5000 to USD 50,000. This also depends upon which types of siding you want. Deciding the budget at an early stage is a smart idea. Check out each and every siding option cost and then opt for the one which fits in right with your budget.
Check these points before you opt for any of the types of siding. But just referring these points would not be enough as you have check out the siding types or siding options to choose the one right types of siding. Here are some of the siding types with each siding type’s pros and cons.
Vinyl siding is just like the king of the siding industry covering approximately 30% of the market share of siding installations for new house. Vinyl siding is very much attractive because of its combination of siding color options, durability and low costing which makes it a perfect choice for those homeowners who have a tight budget and yet want siding with good qualities. There are several different profiles for vinyl like Dutch lap, shakes, and shingles, horizontal and vertical panels, beaded, fish scales or scallops, board and batten. Hence it has variety of designs and textures to choose from. Vinyl siding sits at the top of all the types of siding and is considered to be one of the best types of siding to opt for. Here are some of the pros and cons of vinyl siding to take into consideration before finalizing it.
- Vinyl siding is extremely durable and is usually having the warranty of 30 to 40 years after its installation in the home.
- The color options in case of these types of siding are limitless with plenty of color pallets to pick from.
- Such types of siding are very much versatile and it can also be textured like wood without having the drawback of termites or decay.
- The cleaning process of such types of siding is very much easy and simple; it just needs a power hose and water for cleaning.
- There are plenty of ranges of vinyl materials; you are also available with the option of insulated vinyl if you are staying in colder climates for improving energy efficiency.
- Insulated vinyl siding has a capacity to raise R value, the energy efficiency factor, from 2 to 5.5.
- When you want to upgrade your exterior siding, then vinyl siding is by far the cheapest types of siding among all.
- These types of siding are water resistant but they are not waterproof. If installation is not done in proper manner then water can seep behind the panels which can lead to mold and such other issues.
- Issues like warping and bending can be caused if the weather conditions are extreme of both cold and heat.
- The color of vinyl siding is permanent. This is not in case of other types of siding; there is the option of repainting it with different colors. The siding color choice in case of vinyl is of permanent nature.
- When compared with brick siding, things like limbs, baseball, hail and such other factors can leave gashes and dents in the side of your home.
These types of siding options are generally related with modern and retro style of building structure. Having metal siding installed in the home can give your home a very appealing look if done in right manner. Most common types of materials for metal siding are steel and aluminum. Aluminum siding is basically more popular in the coastal areas because of the salty air and their protection. On the other side, steel is prone to rust but it cannot combat hail damage. Here are some of the pros and cons of metal siding.
- Metal is such a material which cannot rot or have mold issues just like other siding which can have water damage.
- Such types of siding are very low maintenance even in extreme winters unlike other siding options which are prone to conditions of nature.
- Even, here there is no fading of color which can be seen in vinyl siding.
- These types of siding are also eco-friendly and green as each panel is appropriately cut with only little wastage of material.
- It is also fire resilient and fire resistant and it is perfect for dry locations and the one with frequent lightning storms.
- Insects cannot damage metal siding and they cannot find a home in metal siding whereas other siding has a periodic need of spraying of insecticide.
- If metal siding is not properly sealed and finished then it can lead to discoloration and rust.
- With invent of newer materials, metal siding has lost its appeal and they see it as shed for carport.
- Aluminum is considered to be a soft metal and thus it is more prone to dents from all the hail, baseball, rock etc.
- Aluminum siding is also more prone to fading and sometimes it is difficult to match pre colored panels
- Steel siding is very much heavy and it needs more time for installation and thus it increases the cost and makes it expensive.
- Metal siding can get scratched very easily which exposes the metal beneath it that can rust very fast and thus there will be a need of repainting it or resealing it.
Each and every person likes wood, as wood siding can add natural beauty to the exteriors of your home. The changing tones and colors of wood siding make your home look warm and inviting. There are some of the species of wood from which you can choose like pine, cedar, spruce, fir and redwood. Keeping the type of wood you choose aside you also have the option of 4 different profiles like engineered wood, shakes or shingles, bevel, board and batten. Such types of siding are usually dominant in the west and it continues to be best choice for homeowners with its timeless and classic look. Here are some of the pros and cons of wood siding for better understanding.
- Wood is such types of siding which can be replaced easily in small denomination if it is damaged. In case of other types of siding, they have to replace with whole sides or panels.
- This is most eco-friendly types of siding you can get in whole market.
- Wood can be painted and stained in endless colors and there are no limits to it.
- Wood siding has a very high R value and it makes it very much energy efficient.
- It is very much light weighted and this makes it very much fast and easy to install reducing the labor cost and time and also the overall cost.
- Yes of course wood can be painted and stained with limitless colors but this is also a drawback as it has to be maintained very much.
- Wood can easily get damaged by insects and water. Wood eating insects like termites can wreck the havoc of home with wood siding.
- Wood sidings have too much maintenance issue and hence it makes it very costly. It has to be stained every 2 to 3 years and it has to be painted every 4 to 5 years.
- Such types of siding are not fire resistant and hence it can be a risk in areas with dry climate.
Fiber cement siding
In the competition with vinyl siding, one of the types of siding which is very much popular is fiber cement siding. This siding is a mixture of sand, cement and wood fibers. These are built for mimicking the feel and look of natural wood siding but with less issues of maintenance, insects and cost. This type of sidings popularity has risen dramatically because of its durability and low cost along with being a great alternative to wood siding. Here are some of the pros and drawbacks of fiber cement siding to get better knowledge about them.
- It gets you the looks and feeling of real wood along with low cost and also no issues of susceptibility of wood insects.
- Fiber cement siding is very much fire resistant and it has a class 1A fire rating.
- They are not much prone to decay or not like wood along with being resistant to salty air being suitable to coastal areas.
- Maintenance is very much easy and it has a guarantee for a time period of 15 years of not fading or chipping.
- These are very much versatile in its finish and the texture also offers many colors and designs such as stone and brick textures.
- Fiber cement is quite heavy material and it needs two people along with special cutting tools for its installation and hence DIY installation is not possible here.
- It is two to three times more expensive as compared to that of vinyl siding.
- Not as much as wood but it has to be repainted every 12 to 15 years.
- There is some evidence of gapping of the material or delaminating of the material. This does not happen on frequent basis but at times such cases are seen.
- Color is not permanent so touch ups will be needed in case of any chips or damage.
Brick siding is a very much popular choice among all the types of siding. It is very much attractive to people as it is a choice of lifetime. Along with such durability, these types of siding also offer elegant, rustic and pleasing aesthetic look and thus homeowners opt for brick as their exterior siding option. You can still see houses and buildings which were built 100 years back having brick siding and they are still in good condition. Brick siding are available in regular brick masonry along with brick veneer which is considered to be a finished exterior option which sits on the home unlike solid brick which holds the house up. Brick veneer is generally considered as thinner layer on the exteriors of the home just like traditional siding. Here are some of the pros and cons of brick siding.
- These types of siding can easily last for their lifetime. They can last for 100 or more years with just a small requirement of wash at some specific intervals.
- These types of siding are highly fire resistant.
- You will not find termites or wood ants damaging your siding in case of such types of siding.
- Such types of siding do not have a need of repainting or finishing and it also stands against the weather strongly. These will also never fade or decay.
- As, such types of siding are termite proof, durable and fire resistant; insurance for homes with brick siding is also very much lower which enables you to recover your investment very much faster.
- Brick siding is one of the expensive siding options and it ranges from $10 to $15 per square foot.
- The color choice cannot be changed once you decide on the type of brick. Thus you are not available with the option of repainting.
- The motor joints will deteriorate over sometime and it will have a need to be replaced.
- Installation time will be very long if you are opting for DIY.
Check each and every type of siding options, check the pros and cons of it and then evaluate whether it is suitable for the weather circumstances or not and if the cost is also in your budget then pick that one and install it in your home. _________________________________________________________
- R-value – R-value is an measurement of resistance of heat given through the thickness of materials. If the R-value is higher, it means the material has higher heat resistance. Thus before buying any of the Siding materials check the R-value and find the appropriate amount of insulation for your house.