Mostly wallboard ceilings are damaged due to water leaks making their removal necessary.
1. Cover all surfaces in the room using tarps. Use plastic sheets to cover all doorways to seal the room.
2. Clear out the room of its possessions. Use a stud finder to locate a ceiling joist and mark the ceiling with a crayon. Move the stud finder toward the center of the room and locate and mark the next joist.
3. A 6-inch hole is cut in the wallboard between the two marks using a drywall saw.
4. By placing the pry bar into the holes, pull the wallboard down. Continue till you expose all joists.
5. After locating the nails left behind in the joists, wedge the claw end of a hammer in between the nail and the joist to pull nails out. Pull the nails with claw end of the hammer after knocking the wallboard out.