Painting a wall is a quick and a cheap way to give your old room a breathe of fresh air and making your home look more beautiful. If you want to paint a wall or renovate it, don’t jump directly to its execution but pay proper attention of the preparation and planning. Painting a wall requires proper planning, correct tools, right paint and colors and correct execution. Find out what you need know about having right type of paint for your home. Painting a wall is as good as an artistic work. Color selection, painting a wall (DIY), hiring a professional painter, and painting a wall mural all sums up to your process of planning. You are the artist of your own house. Start imagining, customize your choice of paint style, select your palette, and take your tools to decor your walls with fascinating and charming colors.
Painting a wall white is so boring. Feeling lame on the very thought of painting? Painting a wall is often a job dreaded by home owners. It is among the most easy and simple ways to enhance the look of your home with fewer efforts and is inexpensive in nature. Making a statement by applying bold colors or a splash of muted toned colors, is going to be your choice of your personality you want to present. Think twice before painting a wall because any wrong decision can change the whole look of your home. In the interior designing world, painting is the least and easiest way of presenting a brand new wall at your home. However, there are few things to consider before painting a wall, things that will make your work easier and let you enjoy your work rather than a it being a burden.
Learning how to accurately paint a wall can make the end result turn out stunningly.
Things to keep in mind before the process of painting a wall at your home:-
- It is known that painting a wall becomes much easier if nothing is kept in your way. Empty up the whole room or at least as much as possible of it. Move the furniture and important stuffs to the center of your room and cover up with some old bed sheets or useless clothes.
- It will lead you in cleaning the walls perfectly without any interruption in your process. Wipe the walls clean towards down. You might be thinking that this step is not necessary, right? Many dust and dirt builds up are observed on the walls that are important to clean before having the applying the first coat of paint on the wall.
- Remove debris that is observed prior to painting a wall. It will allow the paint to spread evenly. Don’t forget to fill the nail holes or cracks with the help of a putty or cement on the walls. Use removed wallpapers and newspapers for covering the floor in your room.
- Don’t directly apply the paint on the wall; it is advisable to test the paint color you have selected. It is way more difficult to predict that how a particular paint color will suit your walls. If you have selected a color, it is better to purchase a sample first and experiment it.
- Apply it on a little part of your wall and let it dry. Observe the color both at the day and night time. This will help you in knowing its true effects and how is it looking. If you are not confident of the paint, grab more samples of different colors to paint a wall.
- Trust me, you might be surprised of what color you were thinking of and which color is more suitable while painting a wall.
- Never fear of coloring your walls. Always opting for a white, beige or an off white shade isn’t important. Rather take a chance for trying out colorful paints for enhancing the look. Adding dark colors and textures while painting a wall will create a different feeling in the room.
- If the rooms have a high ceiling and are spacious then applying different or contrasting colors is worth tyring out. And if the rooms are smaller in size, no natural light or light colors are going to make your room spacious. Don’t be afraid of experimenting different colors to paint a wall.
- Not only the color works but its ultimate finish and last look makes it more relevant. High glossy paints on walls are easy to maintain and durable in nature but the downside is that if the gloss gets dull, it turns out to be less impressive.
- Glossy or matt look helps your walls in not highlighting imperfections or damages. Make a list of products and materials while painting a wall. It will be frustrating that during the project you run out of paint.
- And you don’t want to have excessive stock of paint either. For such a situation, you need to first know about the square footage requirement of your room. Determine how many coats of paints you are going to apply.
- If primed, a coat is enough on your walls, but if not primed then more than one coat is required. Primer seals the walls and provides it with harder base to adhere the paint easily. It is used after covering cracks and holes in the walls.
- Brush it well before painting a wall. It will lead you in layering perfectly the base of the paint or color to be used. Brush it before painting a wall with a roller. Roller is used for flatting the brush marks observed while painting a wall.
- Remember that, brushes are made up of fuzzy materials that allow more paint than required on the walls. Remove the debris before painting a wall with a roller for not having any bad impression on your walls.
- It is advisable, not to opt for cheap materials or tools. Prep early for supplies you are going to need while painting a wall.
Process of painting a wall
Preparation for painting a wall
Hastily painted walls are easily spotted by the viewers. Uneven lines by the roller, dull coloring effects and improper paint on walls are observed. It is advisable of painting a wall after removing wallpaper for better results. If you want to have a professional process of painting a wall then schedule a day in proper preparation before having the wall painted it.
Select a color
Varieties of options are available to the home owners. Rather there are endless options if you are looking for painting a wall with texture and patterns. While painting a wall, consider the following tips:-
- There is a hierarchy that should be followed by the home owners such as to go from light to dark. This should begin by having light colors on the tops surface (ceiling), middle part goes to the walls containing beautiful colors and the bottom one (flooring, rugs, carpet) should be the darkest color amongst all.
- Choose a color that is based on your furniture or other important elements of the room. The patterns of rugs, upholstery or furniture will help you in selecting a proper color suitable to your walls.
- Make the use of color wheel. Colors that are close to each one on the color wheel works more prominent with each other. Contrasting effects can also be created by using two different colors with each other, but it needs little more help to fit it in a practical color pattern.
Prepare the floors for painting
Make use of newspapers or any unimportant materials that can be used for covering the floors. For covering the floors or hardwood surface in a better manner, laying canvas works well.
Lay a canvas sheet on the floors and cover it completely. Check that no sides or parts of the floor are kept opened. With the help of painters tape, install the sheet on its place and stick all the sides of the room.
Make sure that the floor is evenly covered for avoiding any damage to it. At last, check it well before starting the process of painting a wall.
Clean the walls
Sanding is one of the important steps to be followed. It is helpful in creating small pores into which the paint can be installed. And an even surface is achieved. Sanding is a tool used during the pre-paint process.
While sanding the walls, wear a protector to protect yourself from dust and dirt. A pole-sander with sandpaper is a perfect combination used in the form of tools used to paint a wall. Start using the pole-sander from the top surface of the wall.
Rub it side-by-side towards and move towards the bottom of the wall. Don’t forget the sides and edges of the walls. Medium pressure is accurate for using a pole-sander. Don’t use it too harsh or soft; try to maintain the pressure level for removing accumulated debris or dust from it. Sandpaper has a rough surface that helps you in leveling the surface. When the sandpaper is completely even and starts losing its ability to work, it should be replaced with a new one.
Let the entire dust and loosen debris rest on the floor while painting a wall. Now with the help of a vacuum cleaner, clean the dust and the dislodged debris removed with the help of sandpaper. A cleaned wall is necessary for delivering the process of painting a wall.
Alternative option can also be used with the help of using warm water and adding a bit of detergent to it. Mix it well and dip a sponge in it. Gently tap the sponge on the walls for removing extra dirt or especially greasy blots observed on it. Applying it entirely on the walls is more beneficial for the home owners.
Fill up the holes and use caulks
Next step is to look for the condition of the walls after using pole-sand and sandpaper. Are you observing any holes or cracks? If any of this are observed, you might need little amount of caulk to cover them.
With the help of caulk, insert it in any mold or crack observed. Use a wet finger for placing it on well. Smooth the surface finely and give a final finish. Even, putty is used for filling the holes in walls. With the help of putty knife, insert it in the holes and level it accurately.
After the solution dries up, use sandpaper for removing the extra surface observed before applying the paint on the wall.
Painter’s tape or angled brush? Your choice
Do you want the paint running into your ceiling, floors, or any part of your room? No ? Use either of these two tools:
Painter’s tape takes way more time to setup. There are things you need consider while applying – is evenly installed and spreads to all the sides and edges of the wall. But once it is applied, there is nothing to worry about your floors and ceiling. It doesn’t peel easily from the walls.
Angled brushes are easy in setting up but results in more more mistakes while painting a wall. If you find it comfortable, it saves more time of the home owners at the time of preparing to paint a wall.
Apply primer to the walls
A light coat of paint that is applied before painting a wall is known as primer. It is very important to add primer because it helps in absorbing the paint in a well manner. The paint evenly spreads if the primer is applied to the basic surface of the wall.
Surfaces that have been previously painted may not have the need of installing primer but for new walls, primer plays an important role. You should prime your walls if the walls are glossy in look; the color you are using is darker than primer and painting on a new wall.
Painting a wall
Start painting a wall by covering the edges first. Dip the angled brush into the paint and run it downwards from the top. It is among the best tools to paint a wall. Make sure, that the angled brush doesn’t have much paint on it. Remove excess paint from the brush and color the edges.
Paint a wall with a roller by using it well. Start painting from the center of your wall and explore towards the sides with the help of a roller.
- Dip the roller into water before applying paint on walls. It will spread the paint more evenly on the surface.
- Wet it with the help of oil-based paints that works efficiently.
- Use a tray for filling the paint and get it ready for dipping the roller. Install the tray in little tilt manner. Dip the roller into it and squeeze the extra paint observed.
Use “W” and “M” shape for painting a wall with roller
After dipping the roller into the paint, try not to stop the process. Continuous painting of a wall will lead you in knowing the exact application of paint on walls. You can try using motion of “M” or “W” shape.
Continue using the motions, until the whole wall is covered with accurate paint. While applying the paint with motion M and W shapes, don’t stop the roller. Keep it on the walls until another applicant of paint is not used.
When the roller seems to supply peeling effects and sticky sounds, it’s the right time to use another applicant for painting a wall.
Let the paint dry for several hours,. Rather it is advisable of keeping it dry for at least a day. It will help you with having better results for your efforts. Remove the painter’s tape gently and paint up the borders. Cover up any trim observed with the help of paint and let it dry.
If the need of second coat is observed, touch up with a second coat of paint. Repeat the process of applying the paint again for best outcome.
Tools required for painting a wall
Tools are helpful for DIY painting of wall. They are also an essentials for a DIY painting of wall. Many tools are used while having the process example – metal paint scraper, painter’s tape, angled brush; flats paint brush, paint rollers and many more which are further discussed:
It is used for covering the borders of the walls so that it doesn’t bleed into the area you are not painting. In fact you can now have clean edges without getting dirty.
Used for covering and sealing the holes observed while painting a wall.
It is used almost by all the home owners and professionals while painting a wall. It is much faster as compared to other tools. Paint can be easily spread over the wall with the help of using a paint roller.
They come in different forms like if your room is larger in size with high ceiling, make a use of painter’s pole as an extension to paint roller.
Paint tray is used for using paint with the help of roller. It helps you to avoid dipping brush directly into the paint cans. The paint won’t get contaminated with dust by using a paint tray.
Metal paint scraper
Metal paint scraper is used before using sandpaper for peeling off the extra surface observed on the walls.
It is used for painting the corners of the wall. It helps in achieving clean edges without a paint bleed. It sounds difficult by using flat brush but using it will have you with best wall finish.
For those home owners who are nervous about painting a wall at home, don’t be. Boost your confidence by testing the colors and the patterns you want to have. Try out and don’t be afraid of going beyond your comfort zone. Painting a wall will take you towards a modern and contemporary look of your home. Unify the process of painting and it will lead in eliminating worries about the work. Allow your small brushes to work well for carrying the process of painting a wall.