Are your planning for installing and constructing hip roof as the option of roofing in your home? Basically, a hip roof is a roof with sloping sides. Unlike all other roofing construction job, it also requires accuracy, preciseness and proper materials for the construction. But, there’s nothing to worry about, if basic guidelines are followed and proper tools and materials are used, constructing hip roof process is way more simplified than your imagination. Here are certain steps on installing and constructing hip roof for your roofing method. Make sure to follow each and every step for enjoying the perfect results in the form of hip roof in your home.
Things needed while constructing hip roof:
- Rafter table
- Framing square
- Tape measure
- carpenter’s square
- Architectural plan
- Lumber for installing hip rafters
Process of constructing hip roof:
Step one is to take proper measurements of the surface of your roof. It is among the most fundamental yet crucial step that is important to be performed before anything else is commenced. It’s advisable of performing this step accurately because if the measurements are not taken accurately, the entire process will be of no use further. You are required for measuring the width and the length of the building, which will certainly then used for measuring the dimensions of the rafters and the length of the ridge board.
- Take proper measurement of the hip roof rafters that are important for the construction process. After taking the necessary measurements of the roofing area, cut off the rafters which is important and used while constructing hip roof.
- Now, it’s the time for fixing the rafters with the ridge board attached to the roof. Basically, a ridge board is the work of framing that is used for installation around the roof. Start your process by affixing the standard rafters on the sides of the ridge board. It’s advisable of performing the step further unless and until the ridge board is hard enough for balancing the weight of the rafters.
- After completing this process, you will now move towards the construction of hip roof on the surface of your home. But, before you step ahead, it’s advisable to check the angle that will be placed in and simply resulting in to the length. For more precise calculation, make the use of framing square for getting best and accurate calculation.
- Now the base is ready so you can move forwards for attaching the remaining rafters on its place. It’s advisable to do it on a single side at a time for enjoying the best results of constructed hip roof. And while fixing each and every rafter on its place, make sure of applying enough amount of pressure so that it can stick completely on the board.
- Not only sticking the rafters on the surface of the roof is important but make sure you nail it on your hip roof. It is important so that the rafters do not move from its place of installation. Once all the rafters are nailed properly, make the use of a jig for trimming the sides and the extras for having a better linear layout look.
- Well, the common types of rafters installed in the construction of hip roof are called as hip rafters. It is advisable of fixing them to the adjoined to the standard rafters affixed to the previous ones.
- Don’t forget to affix the jack rafters which are really important to adjust while constructing hip roof in your home. After the entire process is completed, you will have to install jack rafters in between the hip and the standard rafters. Start with the process of affixing the jack rafters by fixing them to the center, working towards the end of the roofing frame. Well, the process is a bit time consuming, but if done with accuracy and patience you will turn up with fruitful results.
- If you think, you’re not a professional person that can construct hip roof on their own, you can simply ask for someone’s help for enjoying the perfect results. This aspect is way more important because while constructing hip roof, you will not only have to prepare the design but also have the structure the roof as you want to have in your home. Don’t forget the related matters like ventilation, flashing, and the drainage system that is important for carrying and transporting the accumulated water from the roof to the outer premise of your home. And if your roofing system includes chimney, you might need to take proper consideration of constructing the space of chimney in your roof.
Process of constructing hip roof rafters:
Start the process by getting the right type and size of hip roof rafters. Make the use of architectural plan for obtaining the measurements of the rafters. For obtaining the accurate measurements, elevation and planning views are perfectly suitable. It’s advisable of starting the process by getting the height measurements from the top ridge to the ceiling. You now have at least two accurate measurements that are important for the further installation.
- Cut off the lumber and prepare the same. Based on the measurement you obtained, it’s advisable of cutting the lumber according to the length and measurements required. Make sure that the ends of the rafters are angles to the 90 degree measurement otherwise the installation of rafters will not be accurate to the measurements. It’s advisable to identify each and every angle that is attached to each of the edges of the rafters. You can also make the use of online reference for knowing the exact method of cutting off and attaching the rafters on its accurate place.
- Install the prepared lumber in the roof for placing the hip roof rafters. Select the lumber according to the size and the length of the rafters so that you might not need to cut off any extra lumber from the surface of the roof.