When it is early in the morning, it is chilled outside and then you need to light up the fireplace. Thus it is important to pay attention on the chimney safety before starting up the stacking firewood. Proper cleaning and chimney maintenance are the prime steps which can keep you home and family safe and warm when the temperature drops outside. Those chimneys which are not paid proper attention ought to create a byproduct which is combustible containing charred wood along the walls. When a high flue temperature is added internally then there is a chance to get dangerous fire on your hands.
If you want to keep this risk away then you should opt for professional chimney sweeper for inspecting the loose bricks and cracks. That professional will clean up your chimney along with inspection. Inspection of chimney is divided into three steps which are mentioned below.
- The first step is for the standard inspection which is done annually. It is for those chimneys which doesn’t have major changes to investigate. The professional inspector will examine the exterior and interior of the chimney connection. The casual soundness of the chimney will be examined and if there are any obstructions it will be noted carefully.
- The second step is for such inspection which has a change in fuel type or any change in the material or shape of the flue.
- This step is very rare. This inspection is done only when there is any hazard is there. Here the chimney or a part of the building is removed for the purpose of examining the chimney deeply.
- After the inspection is done there are some of the basic things which if followed would be beneficial for your home and chimney.
- The area in front of the chimney must be kept clear and clean and it should be kept away from debris and paper. It can be difficult to make decorations during celebrations but still make sure to keep things away from the chimney or the fire space.
- If your fireplace does not possess a glass door, you can make use of a wire, mesh screen.
- Make use of seasoned hardwoods which can split for six months to a year. Avoid burning your Christmas tree and don’t throw the boxes, wrappers and other trash stuff into the fireplace.
- The area surrounding your chimney must be kept clear. If there are any trees which are hanging near by the chimney then cut them off. The leaves and branches must be at a distance of at least 15 feet away.
- Cover your chimney, have a cap for it. A top which contains wire mesh around the sides will keep the snow, rain, birds and such other creatures away from the chimney which keeps on running around the roof.
- Don’t burn too much wood. By doing so, there are chances of your chimney getting cracked. By burning too much wood, build up of creosote is build up on your walls to high extent which increases the risk of chimney cracks.